Thursday, December 14, 2006

Where's Ranjit?


I've been compiling a set of photos of laborers here in Dubai. It is to remind me that my job isn't all that bad. I took this picture some time in July. It was probably 900 degrees C. I'm standing on top of a pile cap that was probably fifty feet away from the edge of the floor slab. The pile cap was about four feet thick with two layers of reinforcing steel, one on the top and one at the bottom of the cap. If you look closely you can see a guy, we'll call him Ranjit, in between the layers of reinforcing steel. Aside from being freaking hot down there he would have had to crawl about 50 feet on his belly to get to this spot. The floor was only about 18" thick so his "crawl space" would be only 12". Your job isn't so bad is it.
I will be posting more of these pictures in the future so stay tuned, and enjoy your job.

No comments: